Since we don’t know how long the federal government shutdown will last, here’s a brief run-down of how the shutdown will affect GovTrack:
- We’re not a government website, as you hopefully know, so we’re still operating.
- We get our bill status information from THOMAS.gov, which is run by the Library of Congress. The Library of Congress has furloughed its staff that collect and curate information on the status of legislation. We’re not sure what that means for what information will update. Some information about bills on GovTrack is probably now frozen in time.
- We’re told the House will continue publishing voting records like normal.
- The Senate isn’t publishing their voting records correctly. No word from them on what the deal is. (Updated on Oct. 2.)
- The Government Printing Office has indicated they remain operating, which means we should receive updated bill text as it is made available.